Lone Star Bowhunters Association

Lone Star Bowhunters Association (http://www.lonestarbowhunter.com/forum/index.php)
-   LSBA Campfire (http://www.lonestarbowhunter.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   History of archery only season in texas? (http://www.lonestarbowhunter.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1713)

Bossbowman 07-11-2008 08:19 AM

History of archery only season in texas?

Does anyone know the first year there was an archery only season for deer in texas, and what the bag limits were back then. I have heard the state used to be 2 bucks 2 does state wide, all counties regulations were the same.

biggen 07-11-2008 09:09 AM

I'm am not sure and would like to know also! I'm sure some of the more knowledgable (old) would know like Tomme or Ron Collier!!

LostHawg 07-11-2008 09:54 AM

'74 was the year one of, or two things took place. LSBA started and bow season. Membry's hindered so, I'm not sure.

DEER KILLER 07-11-2008 10:19 AM

Von Evans kept it alive

Walking_Eagle 07-17-2008 03:23 PM

1962-63
Only 9 counties in the hill country
Bag limits same as regular season
Ron

BOBSTER 07-18-2008 02:11 PM

Not sure when the season started, but I started bowhunting in 1974. That is also when I was introduced to the LSBA. At that time, they sent out a newsletter to everyone that bought a archey stamp. Thought it was neet to have our own state bowhunting organization so I joined. Still think it is neet to have our own state bowhunting organization. Bob

Huntinfool 07-18-2008 04:15 PM

I started bowhunting in '84 , however I do not remember anything being mailed out from the LSBA...but who knows, maybe they did and I just don't remember.

Tomme 07-19-2008 08:06 PM

I think you'll find that Ron is right on the first bowseason and that Bobster on when LSBA started.

My first season was 1976. At that time we hunted October 1 -31 and it stayed that way for years. The bag limit was the same as for any county. In many counties you had to have doe permits to take a doe, even during archery season. That was a time when doe were "protected", even in counties where there was an overabundance of doe. In Burnet County where I hunted on a Texas Vet tract you had to have 75 acres to get a doe tag even though there was an overpopulation of doe in the county.

bo-n-aro 07-23-2008 10:22 PM

Not sure when it all started, but I know in 1974 you had to have your name and address marked on each arrow. I also remember the only camo around was bought at a Gibsons and it was the WWII pattern and made in China! The extra large pant hit me just above my boots!!
I remember climbing a tree and standing on a limb for hours hoping a deer would walk by.
My first "deer stand" was a 2X8 about 18 or 24 inches long with "V" notches cut out of both ends and I would wedge it between two limbs to sit on. The year I wrapped it with foam I thought it just could not get any better.
Those were the days!