Lone Star Bowhunters Association

Lone Star Bowhunters Association (http://www.lonestarbowhunter.com/forum/index.php)
-   Exotics (http://www.lonestarbowhunter.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Eating sheep type exotics? (http://www.lonestarbowhunter.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71)

Linedawg 02-06-2004 06:32 PM

Eating sheep type exotics?

On another thread I mentioned that a friend of mine had taken a black Hawian ram. Of course we quartered it and put it in the cooler. The meat looked and smelled fine. When he took it to the taxidermist they said it wasn't fit to eat (meaning that the sheep are not good eating). What do ya'll say? Do you eat the sheep types and how do you prepare it? Thanks for your time.

Linedawg

Linedawg 02-06-2004 06:33 PM

Oh ya, I was the first to post to this forum. Do I get some kind of prize or something? :lol:

Ronny 02-06-2004 08:01 PM

Linedawg
We eat all kinds of sheep and goats. I think its pretty good. We try to keep as much of the hair of the meat as posable when you skin the animal. As for cooking we smoke it real slow. Season it like you would anything else, I'll beat its good. Hope this helps, just try it.
Ronny

lonestarjwells@yahoo.com 06-05-2004 04:06 PM

Eating Sheep?

I haven't had much luck with sheep. Maybe it's because it was an old ram. Gold medal horns, but I couldn't seem to make it edible, much less good tasting!!!. The dilema is that I really don't like to shoot something I'm not going to eat, (with the exception of predators), and there fore miss out on opportunity to take one of the more common exotics. I for one would appreciate any/all recipies, or cooking, or treating methods that may change my opinion of hunting these animals. Growing up in San Antonio, I've eaten my share of cabrito, and love the stuff. But were talking about the difference between a very young animal and a mature one. Any help/opinions? :idea:

MILNRICK 07-12-2004 04:11 PM

Goats and Sheep

My wife and I were in that same boat until last year. We'd take a ram or a goat and couldn't figure out what to do with it beside dontating to a food bank or homeless shelter.

Fortunately someone told us to cook it slow... as in WAY SLOW. Season it as you would any cut of beef, pork or venison and then cook it slow. Back strap from rams are greaat cooked in bacon fat and smothered in onions with some garlic and seasonall salt. Again, cook SLOWLY.

The Annual Camp Bullis Wild Game Dinner had folks asking for 'carry out' bags of Catilina Goat (not Cabrito Size either). The only think the BBQ Crew did was cook it slowly over a low to medium heat after rubbing it the cuts with season all and a mix of garlic and onion salt.

Hope this helps you some...

MnR.

Linedawg 07-12-2004 07:02 PM

Thanks Milnrick. If I get another chance to try it I'll give the slow cook a try.

MILNRICK 07-12-2004 07:12 PM

You're more than welcome.

Millie and I are scouting out a ranch tomorrow evening that is supposed to have some very serious rams, goats and some 30"+ Auodads on it. We'll let y'all know how it looks.

We've heard good things but won't know for sure until we see it for ourselves.

MnR

Doc Dave 08-23-2004 02:10 PM

I have hunted and taken several exotics. I have gotten the same reply from a lot of people. But my wife was not overly impressed that I would spend so much money on the hunt and only bring home a head to mount. So on the next trip my brother took a Corsican and we put it on ice and then the next day we put part of it on the pit. Some of it was tough but the backstrap was good. make sure you keep it sopped up real good with an oil based sop. It seemed to dry out real fast.

proforce99 01-25-2005 09:58 PM

rams

It has been our experience at the ranch, that a ram that is gold medal class is old enough that it is usually pretty tough. Have tried to bbq them, the taste is good but it is a little tough. Had some hunters from east texas that brought some summer sausage that they had made up with a ram and it was real good. A friend of mine tried it with similar results. If you want to eat a ram, that would be my suggestion, or shoot the 1/2 curl rams that are much tenderer (is that a word?)

tsadler 07-17-2007 11:28 AM

When my step son shot a Texas Dall from Thompson Temple, we tried cooking it in the oven in a bag. It was so greasy it was nasty. We ordered pizza that night and swore to never eat sheep again.

but, I think, based off what was said here, I may try again. my husband loves to smoke brisquet, ribs, and pork loin and he's pretty dern good at it.

2Racks 08-19-2007 08:17 AM

We always leave our rams quartered in an icechest covered in ice, drained daily for about a week before we cook it seems to help alot...but Alfalfa feed rams like the ones down at TTs place make much better sausage then steaks.