Lone Star Bowhunters Association

Lone Star Bowhunters Association (http://www.lonestarbowhunter.com/forum/index.php)
-   LSBA Campfire (http://www.lonestarbowhunter.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How's your whitetail season going? (http://www.lonestarbowhunter.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1877)

Curtis 10-05-2008 05:13 PM

How's your whitetail season going?

Anyone have any luck so far? It looks like I may get a chance to go out to my grandparents place this weekend and sit a bit one evening. Wife is going to be working and the kids will be at their grandparents house. So I will have at least one night to go try and stick something.

I don't have any feeders set up over there but I'm going to try setting up near the pond in the back and see what happens. Always been a little bit of activity out there in the past. I'm taking the DB Matrix and hopefully will have some meat in the freezer soon.

Anyone else have any luck hunting near water lately? Its been hot and dry here lately so I think it may turn out pretty good. We shall see.

biggen 10-05-2008 07:40 PM

One stolen feeder and nothing but does and small bucks. Still happy just to be in the woods!!

nagaranch 10-05-2008 08:06 PM

nothing yet. have had sightings on the lease but nothing coming in. major concensus is that it's still a little warm out.

LostHawg 10-05-2008 08:06 PM

Well, I missed a fox Friday... Haven't had/seen a deer on the property yet.

Curtis 10-05-2008 09:18 PM

Anyone finding a lot of acorns on the ground? I am still seeing a good many in the trees.

txhunter 10-05-2008 09:49 PM

Had a few hogs come around yesterday but that is about all. They didn't get out enough that I could get a shot.

Bweger 10-06-2008 09:53 AM

I haven't started hunting here yet since I was in Colorado during opening weekend but I am going to get started soon.

El Jeffe 10-06-2008 10:48 AM

hunting Geogetown had a guy set up late then making ungodly amount of noise opening weekend has had everything spooked out there. Went to my dads to hunt saturday and miss judged a wide seven and shot underneath him. Waiting for next weekend to try again.

BearOmni 10-06-2008 06:37 PM

No shots in Rusk. Did have a doe blow at me one morning just outside my camp one morning while cooking breakfast.

Curtis 10-06-2008 09:28 PM

Update on my hunt. I went out to my grandparents this evening and got a good size boar. It's been so long since I cared to shoot a hog but this one made me mad enough. I got pictures and will write a story up and post it later. :bedtime: I'm tired right now and I can't get this stink of boar hog off my hands. I definetly don't miss their stench!

No whitetails seen. But my primevil instincts have been satisifed for today! :)

Hey...we need a emote shooting a bow!

Curtis 10-08-2008 09:53 AM

Here is a photo of the hog I shot. Sorry I didn't get this up yesterday.

I went back yesterday afternoon and a lot of the corn was still remaining and it had rained on it from earlier that morning. I pourd out about 25 lbs of corn in the same area and will go back later to try to get that buck that was rubbing near there.

Yeah I know...I'm doing this a harder way. I could put up a feeder but I just don't want to. I have seen bucks walk right along this area many times before in the past in the mornings and evening. I'm hoping to get lucky here with hunting in the ground blind this year. We shall see.

http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/r...ow/1006Hog.jpg

Hot4huntin 10-08-2008 11:00 AM

S-W-E-E-T!! Congrats on a great hawg, Curtis!!

No deer, but I got a gator with my longbow! :)

Curtis 10-09-2008 07:04 AM

Thank you!

biggen 10-09-2008 07:32 AM

Nice Hog!!

Curtis 10-09-2008 09:21 PM

I went back out with my 5 yr. old son tonight. We didn't see a thing but it was probably because of my coughing. Matthew was pretty quiet actually. Until he sat in my lap and held my bow and kept whispering me questions about all the parts of my bow. I didn't mind answering. :) He actually did really well and I got to share a lot of my past hunting stories about that place on the way there and the way back. I was pretty proud of him. Especially when he walked the 400 yds to the blind with no complaint and all the way back without a "I'm tired Daddy. Pick me up?" He stayed awake and pretty quiet the entire 3 hours of the hunt tonight.

So I guess that makes 2 successfull hunts in a row! :)