Lone Star Bowhunters Association

Lone Star Bowhunters Association (http://www.lonestarbowhunter.com/forum/index.php)
-   LSBA Campfire (http://www.lonestarbowhunter.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   TBGA adds Javelina (http://www.lonestarbowhunter.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2846)

Walking_Eagle 09-23-2010 05:59 PM

TBGA adds Javelina

Beginning with the 2010-11 TBGA scoring season Javelina will be recognized as an official scored entry category. Score will be based upon cleaned skull width and length; similar to B & C standards for cats and bear. To facilitate the entry process, entries will be accepted until February 15 the following hunting season for animals harvested during the entry year; for example, Javelina harvested from September 1, 2010 will be accepted for entry until February 2012. This will allow for skulls to be cleaned prior to scoring and entry into the Javelina category.
Scoring initially will be conducted by official B & C scorers familiar with skull measurement techniques. Future scoring schools will include the technique. AT LEAST FOR THE TIME BEING, JAVELINA ENTRIES MAY ONLY BE MADE THROUGH OFFICIAL BOONE AND CROCKETT SCORERS.
The creation of a scored entry category for Javelina, a big game species in Texas, is expected to provide for promotion of the species as a big game species and provide another species from which land managers may benefit from their management efforts. Since Javelina are only found in three states in the United States, it is expected that such a category will promote an otherwise underutilized renewable nature resource.

Ronny 09-23-2010 06:33 PM

Cool deal, Thanks ron.

BOBSTER 09-24-2010 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rns (Post 21669)
Cool deal, Thanks ron.

X2 I felt they should have doing that from the beginning. The did recongnize it for the first time youth harvest, but that was it. Ron, you might contact them and let them know that P&Y as well as TBBR measures already been measuring javelina and maybe they can ad them to the scorers list. Bob

Walking_Eagle 09-24-2010 07:06 AM

Bob,
I have been in contact with the head man. I sent him a copy of the TBBR javelina entries. (502 to be exact). His reply was "awesome". I don't know what they will do with the data, but I feel that it would be useful to them.
As far as "qualified" measurers, TBGA requires B&C measurers for key situations, even though there are many "non-B&C" fully knowledgeable of the B&C system, but this a TP&W deal, so they make the rules.

BOBSTER 09-24-2010 01:04 PM

Ron, TPWD has many non B&C scorers, me included. Just not real sure if they realized that there were other scores that scored javelina when they decided to start accepting javelina. Glad they are finally acknowledging the little guy. Bob

Walking_Eagle 09-24-2010 04:12 PM

I realize that there is a lot of scorers for the TBGA, with only a select few chosen to become B&C certified. I was the first non TP&W employe that was appointed as a measurer when the TBGA first started, and I also helped teach a class for scorers at Kerrville wildlife Ranch years ago. You and I know there are a lot of Non-B&C measurers in Texas that do score skulls for various organizations, but they don't realize that, or choose to accept the fact. TBGA and TP&W are very selective.
Ron

DonPablo 09-24-2010 09:41 PM

As you read this, please keep in mind that I know very little about scoring animals. At javelinahunter.com they have an online record book just for javelinas. I think they have a list of official scorers as well. I don't know how they do it, but maybe they could be utilized as well.

Pablo

2050z 04-20-2011 04:31 PM

I have two javelina I would like scored for the TBGA. Who can score them for me?

Thanks

Hot4huntin 04-20-2011 06:29 PM

Timm, if you do not find a scorer before the Banquet, Bobby can score them for you there.

Walking_Eagle 04-20-2011 06:34 PM

Don will do it for you.
Ron

Name: Don Sherpy
Phone: (972 )670-7268
City: Plano, TX
Email: dsherpy@regalresearch.com

Walking_Eagle 04-20-2011 06:36 PM

Dena,
TBGA sez it must be an official B&C measurer to score the javelina at this time.
Ron

Hot4huntin 04-20-2011 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walking_Eagle (Post 24556)
Dena,
TBGA sez it must be an official B&C measurer to score the javelina at this time.
Ron

Yep. My bad. I thought it was just for the top 5 in each category. Thanks for pointing that out, Ron!