Lone Star Bowhunters Association

Lone Star Bowhunters Association (http://www.lonestarbowhunter.com/forum/index.php)
-   Rate the Day Lease / Outfitter (http://www.lonestarbowhunter.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Firstpointbowhunting (http://www.lonestarbowhunter.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1165)

Ronny 11-18-2007 08:46 PM

Firstpointbowhunting

I've got a hunt that starts Friday at firstpoint, just wondering if anybody has any pointers. This is my first trip there.

Chunky 11-18-2007 10:14 PM

Very low brush and cover so take a very short tri-pod or dig yourself into the thick stuff. You have a real chance at a big deer....but the deer there are as smart as any I have hunted. I think they are on to tent blinds. Some of the guys were trying to dig shallow holes go get low. Good luck.

Ronny 11-19-2007 05:42 AM

Thanks Mark, will 6' tripod work down there.

Cull 11-19-2007 08:09 AM

The deer there have seen it all. When you think your setup is good, make it a little better. 20 bowhunters a day for four years have made the deer as smart as I've ever seen.

TradAg02 11-19-2007 02:38 PM

I had success with a 3’ tripod; 6’ would have put me above the tallest bush in my pasture. Make your blinds as thick as possible, but keep in mind you need to make them look natural. Set up your shooting holes at angles rather than straight to the road. If you have to cut something near the road cut it flush with the ground. Once you think you are brushed in well enough, brush it in again. Cut your material from an area away from your blind. The guys who set up where they could see long distances saw a lot of deer, those who set up where Mike told them to sit, had opportunities. After the evening hunt ask Mike where he saw deer in your section and then adjust. In the morning the majority of the activity was seen in the vicinity of the feeders. I personally feel that you need to corn the road ahead of the feed truck otherwise the does and young bucks will have you cleaned out before the big bucks hit the road. However make sure to spread it like a feed truck would and I would corn an entire section of road (corner to corner). If they see a change in consistency they will leave. Once again, listen to Mike. Good Luck

Ronny 11-20-2007 06:04 AM

Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to the hunt

BUFF 11-21-2007 03:26 PM

good luck..............

Huntinfool 12-30-2007 04:55 PM

I was lucky enough to shoot a great buck there this year. I dug a pit blind, which I don't recommend unless you know there is a big buck in the area. Watch from a distance and figure out where the bucks are feeding on the road and then put your blind in.

Hunt Quest 12-30-2007 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huntinfool (Post 9732)
I was lucky enough to shoot a great buck there this year. I dug a pit blind, which I don't recommend unless you know there is a big buck in the area. Watch from a distance and figure out where the bucks are feeding on the road and then put your blind in.

Got any pics??

Huntinfool 12-31-2007 06:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here ya go. Pasture 9. Last evening shot at less than 10 yards.

Attachment 403

Attachment 404

Hot4huntin 01-04-2008 02:09 PM

Great buck, Damian! Congrats!

KEZ 03-10-2011 09:40 PM

I hunted there a few years back,had a 20 yard shot at a 130" buck.He saw me before I could draw back.Good place,but hard to get one.

COLEMAN 07-31-2019 08:32 AM

Decent, need to accomplish something like this with mine.

EltonHester 06-02-2021 07:39 AM

one mo