Lone Star Bowhunters Association

Lone Star Bowhunters Association (http://www.lonestarbowhunter.com/forum/index.php)
-   LSBA Campfire (http://www.lonestarbowhunter.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   LSBA Spike/Doe Fellowship Hunt (http://www.lonestarbowhunter.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2509)

Tomme 12-03-2009 07:34 PM

LSBA Spike/Doe Fellowship Hunt

I just got the confirmation for us doing a Spike/Doe fellowship hunt at Elm Creek near Brackettville. I have hunted this place the last three years and can certify that it is loaded with deer so this would be a good opportunity. I'm going on a regular season hunt this next week so can give you a report. Here's the details of the hunt.

Cost - Only $125 TOTAL for the TWO DAY Hunt. Where else could you hunt deer for only $62.50 a day?

Bag Limit - One Doe and one spike.

Hunt Dates - Friday Noon on January 8 through noon on Sunday Jan 10th.

Location - Elm Creek ranch - Brackettville, TX

There are 8 preset stands and feeders on this ranch. You can bring ground blinds and tripods to hunt other spots, but for pre-established spots we will probably draw before each hunt for stand locations.

There is a limited number of bunkhouse spaces available. I will book these on a first come first served basis. Bunkhouse has showers, toilets and cooking facilities, but is pretty primitive. If the bunkhouse is full or you want something fancier, you can camp out or stay at a local Bracketville motel (which will only be 4 miles from the ranch).

This is a good chance to enjoy a late season hunt, fellowship with other LSBA members and last but not least, fill up your freezer.

You must be an LSBA member, but if you're not, Dena would love to take your application.

For more information or to reserve a spot call me at 254-541-1146 or email me at Tomme@Actkinson.net

Good Hunting,

Tomme R. Actkinson

Kids hunt free

Ronny 12-03-2009 08:48 PM

Sounds like a good deal.

bountyhunter 12-04-2009 09:09 PM

Sounds good to me, got to check with the boss but I should be in!

BTW what about climbing stands, are there any trees that can be climbed? I've never hunted that area.

Tomme 12-05-2009 11:02 PM

Bountyhunter it's mainly low brush and Mesquites. There are a few live oaks, but not many. Some trees might work with chain-ons, but climbers, probably not. I'd probably go with brushblinds, pop ups, or tripods and each feeder already has at least one stand located at it.

What I have seen are a LOT of doe and spikes on the place. I think whatever we use, we should have a harvest opportunity.

We have 2 spots reserved so far, so only 6 left.

Death from Above 12-07-2009 04:45 PM

Email sent.

biggen 12-07-2009 05:10 PM

But do we have to hunt with Tomme!! :tearhair:

TEXWILD 12-07-2009 07:16 PM

I will talk to my boss but my Daugter and I would be interisted in going.

Death from Above 12-08-2009 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggen (Post 19432)
But do we have to hunt with Tomme!! :tearhair:

I made the list...now whats this about pulling out all my hair:think:

bountyhunter 12-09-2009 05:19 PM

I'm in and starting my plaining..........which bow to take is my first big question......

biggen 12-09-2009 05:29 PM

Tomme is at Elm Creek starting tonight thru Sunday. He should have a good report when he gets back!!

bountyhunter 12-10-2009 02:55 PM

Kewl, I'll be awaiting his report with bells on..........or something like that.

Tomme 12-13-2009 07:02 PM

OK, I'm back.

I didn't try to shoot a doe or spike as this was my buck hunt. Based on what I saw everyone should bring a large ICE CHEST. I saw often saw 3 or 4 spikes at a feeder. Some of these were cowhorn, five or six inch spikes, but most were 1- 1.5 inches. I saw fewer doe, but my son's experience was the opposite. He was seeing 6 or 7 doe and maybe only one spike on each outing. If we hunt hard and bathe on a more regular basis than biggen, then we all should have a chance to harvest something for the freezer.

Now as to the bucks. I "almost" got drawn all the way on a mature 8. Hard to do with 8 deer around you. My son had a shot as well. No horns, but lots of fun.

Death from Above 12-14-2009 07:17 AM

Sounds like you still had a great time Tomme...looking forward to sharing a campfire with you guys.

bountyhunter 12-14-2009 07:40 AM

That is a great report for us. Sorry the horns didn't play right for you and your son, hope y'all get another shot at them.

rtread 12-15-2009 06:58 PM

Looks like I'll be making this hunt....looking forward to it! Thanks Tomme for running it by the TBH Campfire....I caught it this morning. I'll be bunking at the Fort Clark Springs Motel (until they run me out for snoring) but hope to share a campfire with you guys & gals.