Lone Star Bowhunters Association

Lone Star Bowhunters Association (http://www.lonestarbowhunter.com/forum/index.php)
-   LSBA Campfire (http://www.lonestarbowhunter.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How do you define a successful hunt? (http://www.lonestarbowhunter.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2015)

Mojo68 12-16-2008 10:21 AM

How do you define a successful hunt?

I just spent 5 days at the ranch with my folks and hunted several times each day. I had deer come to my feeder and food plots each time I sat in the stand. After I got home I was telling my wife what a great time I had hunting and she had a puzzled look on her face because I didn't take one shot the whole time. I explained that a great hunt doesn't always include killing a deer but being out and watching the world wake up and start the day. I would like to hear how you rate a hunt a success.

bustedassranch 12-16-2008 11:04 AM

In my eyes anytime away from everyday life is a success. Fishing, hunting, or just camping. Just think of some the things we get to see that some people will never see. I find that sad.

LostHawg 12-16-2008 01:06 PM

A bloody tailgate. ;)

RickBarbee 12-16-2008 04:46 PM

Anytime I get to go.

bowhunter26 12-16-2008 06:05 PM

Time in the outdoors chasing what ever animal i just happen to be after, is a blessing in it self.

grizz 12-16-2008 06:54 PM

Traveled 1400 miles - one way 2800 total...hunted 6 days a week for 3 1/2 weeks...came back..hunted local every weekend so far

Took lots of video @ 8 to 30 yards..have yet to shoot...

Every day was a successful hunt!

When ya have to drag em for a couple miles..you get choosy

Chunky 12-16-2008 08:44 PM

It is not killing an animal, although I like that as well. Time spent with good friends and/or family. I like to see animals. I like to be distracted from my normal work and problems. Good food and weather a plus...but not necessary.

Tomme 12-16-2008 09:58 PM

I'm one with what Mojo and Chunky said.

I like to see game, but I don't have to harvest anything for it to be a great hunt.

Sometimes I like the solitude of simply being in the woods by myself, but hunting with friends or family has to rate as a top for me. I look forward all year to going to Nebraska with Brad and Ronny and for years Jay Fulton and I made an annual pilgrimage to S. Texas. As for hunting with family, check out the thread I started on the hunt report column titled "Wonderful Hunt" and you'll see what I mean.

tinman 12-16-2008 11:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Easy. This is completely based on the total number multiplied by the combined size of all smiles generated from the time I walk out the front door until the time I'm home and finished telling my wife, daughter, and extended family on the web about the trip. :D

There are extra points for quality of food and beverage consumed on the trip but there's no need to complicate things here.

A pic from my most successful trip of the season...no animals were harmed in the making of this photo. ;)

Attachment 1442

biggen 12-17-2008 07:46 AM

Just being away from the problems! If my only problem is remembering if I brought my release it is going to be a good day!!

nagaranch 12-17-2008 09:18 AM

just spending time in the field/woods is enough for me.

chongo 12-18-2008 09:12 AM

Anytime I can get out there! like you I enjoy sitting in my ground blind or tripod and just watching and listening to the woods wake up with the sunrise. I enjoy the time spent around camp with friends and family and it is really icing on the cake to have the opportunity to fling an arrow (which has not happened this year)