Lone Star Bowhunters Association

Lone Star Bowhunters Association (http://www.lonestarbowhunter.com/forum/index.php)
-   Rate the Day Lease / Outfitter (http://www.lonestarbowhunter.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Brushy Hill (http://www.lonestarbowhunter.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1465)

hornhunter_ 03-19-2008 12:52 PM

Brushy Hill

Planning a trip to BrushyHill in Sabinal for Whitetail this fall. I have hunted South Texas with rifle but never on a day lease. Curious if I would be better served to go early due to less hunting pressure verse going in december. Even though it is the rut but in a day lease i am sure they will be spooky by then
thanks

Steve Magee

Ronny 03-20-2008 06:19 AM

I think if you can get in on the rut thats what I'd do. Good luck with the hunt.

LostHawg 03-21-2008 09:21 AM

I've had deer in shooting range of me every trip I've made down there.

Enjoy your trip. I'd opt for late October, or the rut.

Horitexan 04-27-2008 02:21 PM

Congrats on choosing Brushy Hill!

There really isn't any "better" time to hunt Brushy Hill, in my opinion. As the webmaster for the ranch, I manage to get down to the ranch every couple of weeks year-round (including deer season) and I've seen big deer all season. Personally, I like the Pre-rut (Nov.) because the ranch hasn't been pressured nearly as much as it will be during December and the post-rut/late season because they're hungry and seem to come to the corn- which means that you can play feeders and the corn route and catch them traveling between them, almost like patterning them.

The MAIN thing is your setup- if you brush-in your setup properly, so that you CAN NOT be seen, you'll see deer and likely good deer. I've yet to see a single hunter, that REALLY knew how to hide their setup, that didn't at least see a good deer and most have at least had shot opportunities on a shooter. Unfortunately, many hunters that go to day-leases are accustomed to hunting leases or low-pressure areas where they can get away with just throwing up a pop-up without hiding it with brush or with sitting in a 12' tripod in the open or over a 6' brush- that kind of setup might work with low-pressure, but it just isn't going to work at a day-lease where the deer see hunters every day.

I have a lot of places to hunt but I hunt Brushy Hill most of the time simply because it has so much game and the quality of game is so high. You made a good choice about where to hunt. Brush-in your setup REALLY well and you'll have a great time!

Nick

Tomme 05-08-2008 09:45 PM

Hey Nick how you doing? I largely agree with Nick (and he should know). As far as my personal picks I think I'd shoot for a cold front in October or a late season hunt, especially if the summer was hot and dry. I saw a 150 class in the Kraegor two years ago during the last week and the week before someone had shot a 140 or so near the gate.

It's a really good ranch with friendly people.