PDA

View Full Version : This is my "go to" bow

LostHawg
03-07-2004, 06:19 AM
Great Plainsman
52#@28"
Brazillian Tulip and Osage
Clear glass back and belly - Matte finish.
64" AMO
Approximately 175 fps with a 500 grain arrow.

hogslayer
03-07-2004, 08:59 AM
might guess you'd have a bow with Tulip..... :twisted:

good looking but you gan chuck an arrow 175 ft per sec outta most tree stands... :evil:

Just funning, looking forward to the hunt and meeting ya.

LostHawg
03-07-2004, 09:03 AM
yeah, but with this the deer/hog doesn't hear what hit 'm till it's too late. :lol: :P :mrgreen:

biggen
03-07-2004, 03:46 PM
Only 52#'s, Tomme said you shot only 80#ers. :shock:

LostHawg
03-07-2004, 05:14 PM
He may have said I WEIGH 80#. 8) The most I have shot was 71#. Smooth and fast shooting O'Brien Wolverine longbow. I shot it too much (about 30 shots in a row) and walked around for two weeks with my shoulders scrunched together. :lol:

One should build up to a bow's weight. Not just take off with an increase of 15#.

Oh yeah, it's rated 52#@28, I draw it to about 55/56#.

Frontloader
03-07-2004, 05:54 PM
Losthawg

Nice looking bow. Will have to try to look you up on the hunt to get a closer look at it.

I have a 45 @ 28 Tom Parsons longbow. It is in the garage otherwise I would give you the model but it is an Indian name and I can't spell it without seeing it. It is a nice looking bow and seems to be as good a bow as any out there. However, my knowledge of others is limited.

I bought this bow second hand from an individual who did not like the recurve style grip on it. I didn't either so I modified it and it is much better now. Still need to decide what arrows to shoot.

My skills with the longbow are still in the development stage and I need to work more on them to become consistent. Then I might be able to tell which arrows work best for me.

We need to figure out a way to get together on the hunt to share our equipment. With 3 cabins and over 60 people, it wont be easy to meet and see all or know when you have meet someone from this site.

My personal knowledge of those on this site are limited to Tomme, Hogslayer, Biggen, Bowjunkie, and Sp!ke. I think that is correct.

So any ideals on how to do this? :)

Ed

hogslayer
03-07-2004, 08:30 PM
Lost,

Frontloader and Bobster are two of the individuals that you will be lucky to meet. They are quality individuals. I will be in the pop up camper probably in the Hog Heaven pasture. I will be on duty friday morning at checkin, I rib frontloader only because he is one of the folks I have high regard for. If I see you and he I will be sure to introduce you, course if Frontloader sees me first you will know him by the fact he'll be running away from me... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LostHawg
03-07-2004, 08:43 PM
I drive an '04 Green Z71 Silverado. (My other "go to" beau)
No, I'm not rich, just tired of settling for second to what I want.

I'm long and lean like my longbow. 5'11" 165#

I'll be lugging my tent, an old Wal Mart cabin tent. Ozark Trails I think. (I love sleeping in tents, don't do it enough)

biggen
03-07-2004, 08:45 PM
Noticed how Hoglayer left out Tomme and Bowjunkie and Sp!ke and oh yea ME!! Not sure if thats a jab or compliment?! :?: :wink:

Linedawg
03-07-2004, 09:53 PM
In the past my go to bow was my 60" 60lb @ 26" Howard Hill. I recently bought a second hand Black Widow and have fallen in love with it. I have already taken one hog with it and I'll probably bring it and the longbow to the fellowship hunt.

LostHawg
03-08-2004, 08:15 PM
Linedawg, bring 'em both. I'd really like to try shooting each. Always wanted to see what the big deal was with the HH's AND the BW's. I've heard the BW's chunk a real fast arrow. :wink:

hogslayer
03-08-2004, 08:55 PM
OK biggen, sorry for leaving you out, spike is not attending, bowjunkie is an unknown......and tomme, don't push it... :twisted:

Linedawg
03-09-2004, 05:32 PM
Tracey I forgot to mention that I shoot lefty. If you do as well you are more than welcome to shoot them. I don't think the BW is all that fast but it is a very nice shooting bow. I shoot woods with the HH and carbon with the BW. I used to be strickly a wood arrow shooter but when I went back to a recurve I also tried the carbons and the BW really does well with them. I'm trying to weight them up some. I don't know what they weigh now but I like a heavy arrow.

hogslayer
03-09-2004, 08:12 PM
gotta give you a laugh, hit the top of my big target last night in the moonlight. Heard the arrow going through the trees for waht seemed minutes and my neighbor looked over the fence like the guy on home improvement and said 'hey neighbor, practicing again?" I just broke out laughing....he said he heard that arrow ring through the trees. Fortunately the arrow ended up in the 180 acres behind my house.

Ahhhh a miss that stunk.....

Tomme
03-09-2004, 11:29 PM
I'm bringing the Ben Pearson colt 50# which I took a hog with a year ago on this ranch. For that one I shoot wood arrows tipped with Zwickey Eskimos. Recently I found some arrows that shoot well out of the Palmer presentation bow that I got for being LSBA president. These are Arrow Dynamic Traditional Lite arrows. I seem to be shooting fairly accurately with these and the bow is fast even at 45#. I'd probably shoot regular Zwickeys out of this one, just worry that the arrow might be a little light for a big pig. I figure the whole set up would be about 430 gr.

What do you think?

LostHawg
03-10-2004, 06:46 AM
Dawg, I can shoot leftie, but I think the bow (60#) may be a bit much for my left hand shooting.

I shoot right handed, but have been tinkering with left. I'm left eye dominant and am trying to decide if I want to switch. Last night while practicing (right handed), I was packing 3" 5 arrow groups in at 18 yards. If it's true what they say about shooting off your dominant eye, I may get scarey accurate shooting left handed. Hmm.

LostHawg
03-10-2004, 07:02 AM
Oh yeah, my secondary bow is a 60" recurve. Handcrafted by Pat O'Brien. He used action wood in the limbs and riser. Gray for the riser, and for the limbs, he stained to an osage yellow the reg'lar actionwood. There are two strips of canary wood in the riser as well. It is 52#@28" and zips the arrers downrange like who hit john. Gonna use it for my second piggie. Shoots the same arrows as my longbow.

Linedawg
03-10-2004, 06:33 PM
I also have a 50lb HH. I'll bring it too. I am also right handed and left eye dominate. That is why I switched.

3" groups at 18yds. I don't know that I would mess with switching. My shooting is not that good. On a good day I can hold 5" at 20yds groups for most of the day. Unfortunatly that doesn't happen every day. I shoot my recurves better than I do a longbow but I like the longbow better.

LostHawg
03-10-2004, 09:30 PM
Dawg, that was last night, so, I ended on a good note. Didn't want to ruin my zone.

I think I could shoot the 50, I shot a 48 up at the Abilene range last week.

walking eagle
03-11-2004, 09:44 PM
If I was able to make the hunt , my bow to go would be an arcadian woods, 60# @27', wood shafts, snuffer heads.
See picture

LostHawg
03-11-2004, 10:08 PM
Boy, the fellow what builds those Acadians sure makes some purdy bow don't he?

Nice Javie.

walking eagle
03-11-2004, 10:28 PM
yes he does! And they are very smooth, no hand shock, and fairly quick.
My son used one his bows (55 lbs. ) and put his arrow completely thru a 500 lbs P&Y bear in Canada.
Best longbow I have shot.