PDA

View Full Version : Resting Recurves and Longbows

BOBSTER
11-02-2009, 07:36 PM
I have a few recurves and longbows, and was wondering what is the best way to keep them for long periods of time while not in use? Can I lay them on either the front of the bow, or back of the bow. Would it be better to keep them strung or unstring them? Does it hurt a longbow to stand unstrung against the wall in the corner? I also have a pretty zebra wood longbow 20+ lbs. that a limb is twisted on, can that be fixed, or should I just hang it on the wall now? Not worth a lot, but just pretty. Thanks, Bob

bountyhunter
11-03-2009, 06:37 AM
The only times I keep mine strung is when I'm travelling because my case is for a strung long bow, when I'm breaking in a new string and when I'm on a hunt. All other times I keep in unstrung. Same will apply to my new recurve. My longbow has over the years has sat in the corner, but I'm now looking at building or buying a something to hang them on the wall. In other words I'm running out of corners. I don't know that leaning them in the corner is the best way, or harmful to them, but it has worked for me for many years. Not sure about the twisted limb, might want to check with the bowyer and see what they say about fixing the bow. Hope this helps some, it might not be the best way to do things, just things that have worked for me over the years.

Hot4huntin
11-12-2009, 05:25 AM
I think you should just lay they them across the top shelves of the closet, stand them in the corners of the living room, across the chair arms and between the filing cabinet and armoire in the bedroom. It has worked for years. Just sayin'... roflroflrofl

BOBSTER
11-12-2009, 09:28 PM
I think you should just lay they them across the top shelves of the closet, stand them in the corners of the living room, across the chair arms and between the filing cabinet and armoire in the bedroom. It has worked for years. Just sayin'... roflroflrofl
OK, I know what I have been doing, but I want to know if I have been doing it right:err:Did I just say that? Now that I have a Bob Lee Recurve and a Palmer Recurve, I just want to make sure that I keep them nice and comfy. Bob

Bisch
11-20-2009, 10:02 PM
Bobster, Don't stand them in a corner - you are asking for a twisted limb. Strung or unstrung does not matter. I personally unstring mine and I have a makeshift rack for them in my closet. A good way to hang them unstrung is to loop the string over a peg and let them hang vertically.

Hope this helps a little,

Bisch