PDA

View Full Version : My Wife's Birthday Project

bountyhunter
08-08-2009, 09:46 AM
My wife has not shot a lot but wants to get into archery. I got her a little compound but she really don't like it that much. She wants a simpler bow as she has watched me practice with my longbow and likes that there isn't much to remember (she thinks) to send an arrow flying. I've had her looking a bows but she seems to think she wants a Horse Bow, one of them styled after the ones the Mongolians used. Yes they look kewl, but I don't think she is going to like shooting one.

So I had the hair brain idea that I'd build her a short flat selfbow and have been working on it for weeks. It is almost done and as soon as it is finished I'll put up some pictures. Of course I'm also building her some of my arrows to go with the bow, though they won't be selfnocked because the 5/16 shafts I'm using don't have enough meat, but they should still be pretty.

I sure hope I've not been going to a whole lot of trouble for nothing. Well if she don't like it, I guess I'll have a nice wall hanging.......;)

BOBSTER
08-09-2009, 10:14 PM
bountyhunter, I am sure she will like it and try and shoot it until she gets good with it. I made my little girl Hunter a bow out of a cedar limb when she was around 2-3 years old because she did not have her own. She always wanted to shoot it when we went somewhere until I finally convinced he she could shoot better with a regular bow. I cannot wait on the pics. Bob

bountyhunter
08-10-2009, 07:03 PM
Well I finished up on the bow a little bit ago and the quiver I order her came in today. I still have three arrows to finish. Here are some pictures everything finished.

BOBSTER
08-11-2009, 08:16 AM
Wow, you really have some talent in building this stuff. She will love it. Bob

bountyhunter
08-11-2009, 04:58 PM
I couldn't hold out till her birthday and gave it to her last night. There were a lot of smiles. It was too late to give it a test run, maybe tonight.

I told her she needs to practice and come out to BPS with me and shoot with us. She wasn't having any of that yet. ;)